Prof. Marinos Kavouras, P Eng, obtained a Diploma in Rural and Surveying Engineering (1979) from the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA) in Greece. He received his MScE (1982) and his PhD (1987) from the University of New Brunswick in Canada. He is currently Director of the NTUA Geoinformatics Graduate Programme, Vice President of the NTUA Senate Committee for Post-Graduate Studies and Director of the Cartography Laboratory, in parallel to his position as a Professor of GIScience and Cartography at the NTUA. He has served as the Dean of the School of Rural & Surveying Engineering of NTUA (2006-2010), Vice President of the Hellenic Cadastral Agency (2004-2009) and Chair of Working Group II/6 - System Integration and Interoperability (2004-08) of the International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing. He has also served in numerous organizing and scientific committees, and as a reviewer in scientific journals. Furthermore, he has undertaken various research programmes in Geoinformatics and has formed OntoGEO - a group conducting Ontological Research in GIScience. His research interests include, among others, theoretical issues in GIScience, knowledge representation, geospatial ontologies, semantic interoperability, spatio-temporal modelling, concept mapping, and theoretical cartography. He has co-authored over 100 publications in scientific journals and conference proceedings.
National Technical University of Athens
School of Rural and Surveying Engineering
Iroon Polytechniou 9, 157 73, Zografou, Athens, Greece
Tel.: +30 210 7722731
Fax: +30 210 7722734
- M. Kavouras & M. Kokla, “Geographic Ontologies and Society”. SAGE Handbook of GIS and Society Research, Nyerges, T., Couclelis, H., McMaster, R.B. (Eds.), Sage Publications, 2010.
- S. Kontaxaki, M. Kokla, and M. Kavouras, Semantic Labeling of Geo-Concept Clusters. 6th International Conference on Geographic Information Science, Zurich, September 2010.
- S. Kontaxaki, M. Kokla, and M. Kavouras, GeoScape, a Granularity-Depended Spatialization Tool for Visualizing Multidimensional Data Sets, Geo-Spatial Information Science, Springer, Vol. 13(4), 2010.
- S. Kontaxaki, E. Tomai, M. Kokla & M. Kavouras, “Visualizing multidimensional data through granularity-dependent spatialization”, Visualization and Data Analysis 2010 Conference 7530 - Proceedings of SPIE, Volume 7530, Paper 7530-21, 18 - 19 Jan. 2010.
- M. Kavouras, “Geonoemata Elicited: Concepts, Objects, and Other Uncertain Geographic Things”. Research Trends in Geographic Information Science, Navratil, G. (ed.), Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2009.
- M. Kavouras & M. Kokla, "Theories of Geographic Concepts: Ontological Approaches to Semantic Integration", CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, FL, USA, 2008.
- M. Kavouras & M. Kokla, “Semantic Integration of Heterogeneous Geospatial Information”. Advances in Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences 2008 ISPRS Congress Book, Li, Ζ., Chen, J., and Baltsavias, E. (Eds.), CRC Press/Balkema, London, UK, 2008.
- E. Tomai, P. Prastacos & M. Kavouras, "A Framework for Intensional and Extensional Integration of Geographic Ontologies", Transactions in GIS, 11(6): pp. 873-887, 2007.
- M. Kavouras, M. Kokla & E. Tomai, "Semantically-Aware Systems: Extraction of Geosemantics, Ontology Engineering, and Ontology Integration", in Stefanakis, E., Peterson, M.P., Armenakis, C., and Delis, V., (Eds), Geographic Hypermedia: Concepts and Systems, Series: Lecture Notes in Geoinformation and Cartography, Springer, ISBN: 978-3-540-34237-3, 2006.
- M. Kavouras, M. Kokla & E. Tomai, "Comparing Categories among geographic ontologies", Computers & Geosciences, 31(2): pp 145-154, Special Issue, Geospatial Research in Europe: AGILE 2003, Michael Gould (Ed.), March 2005.
- Tomai E., Spanaki M., Prastacos P. and Kavouras M., Ontology assisted Decision-making – a Case Study in Trip Planning for Tourism, International Workshop on Semantic-based Geographical Information Systems (SeBGIS'05), Cyprus, November 3 - 4, 2005.
- Μ. Kokla & M. Kavouras, "Semantic Information in Geo-ontologies: Extraction, Comparison, and Reconciliation", Journal on Data Semantics, 3534: pp 125-142, 2005.
- E. Tomai & M. Kavouras, "Qualitative Linguistic Terms and Geographic Concepts - Quantifiers in Definitions", Transactions in GIS, 9(3): pp. 277-290, 2005.
- A. Darra, M. Kavouras, and E. Tomai, “Representing Semantic Similarity of Socioeconomic Units with Cartographic Spatialization Metaphors”, International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, 22(1): pp.33-45, 2005.
- E. Tomai & M. Kavouras, "Mappings between Maps - Association of Different Thematic Contents using Situation Theory", International Cartographic Conference, A Conuna, Spain, July 9 -16, 2005.
- E. Tomai & M. Kavouras, "Context in Geographic Knowledge Representation", 2nd International Conference and Exhibition on Geographic information, Estoril, Portugal, May 30 – June 2, 2005.
- M. Kavouras & S. Kontaxaki , "Spatial Knowledge Extraction from Geographical Databases: An approach based on the Controlled English Query Language Geo-Q and Conceptual Graphs", 2nd International Conference and Exhibition on Geographic information, Estoril, Portugal, May 30 – June 2, 2005.
- A. Karalopoulos, M. Kokla & M. Kavouras, “Comparing Representations of Geographic Knowledge expressed as Conceptual Graphs”, M.A. Rodríguez, I.F. Cruz, M.J. Egenhofer, S. Levashkin (Eds.): GeoSpatial Semantics, First International Conference, GeoS 2005, Mexico City, Mexico, November 29-30, 2005, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 3799, Springer, 2005.
- A. Darra, M. Kavouras & E. Tomai, "Representing Semantic Similarity of Socioeconomic Units with Cartographic Spatialization Metaphors", 7th AGILE Conference on Geographic Information Science, Crete, Greece, 28 April - 1 May 2004.
- A. Karalopoulos, M. Kokla & M. Kavouras, "Geographic Knowledge Representation using Conceptual Graphs", 7th AGILE Conference on Geographic Information Science, Crete, Greece, 28 April - 1 May 2004.
- E. Tomai & M. Kavouras, "Where the City sits? Revealing Geospatial Semantics in Text Descriptions", 7th AGILE Conference on Geographic Information Science, Crete, Greece, 28 April - 1 May 2004.
- E. Tomai & M. Kavouras, "From "Onto-GeoNoesis" to "Onto-Genesis" The Design of Geographic Ontologies", Geoinformatica, 8(3): pp. 285-301, 2004.
- M. Kavouras, "A unified Ontological Framework for Semantic Integration", in "Next Generation Geospatial Information" by A.A. Balkema Publishers - Taylor & Francis, The Netherlands, P. Agouris (ed)., 147-156, 2004.
- M. Kavouras, M. Kokla & E. Tomai, "Determination, Visualization and Interpretation of Semantic Similarity among Different Geographic Ontologies", 6th AGILE Conference on Geographic Information Science, Lyon, France, 24-26 April 2003.
- A. Darra, M. Kavouras & N. Tzelepis, “A Rational Characterization and Visualization of Topographic Relief into Mountainous, Semi-Mountainous and Plane Terrain”. Proceedings of the 21st International Cartographic Conference, Durban, South Africa, 10-16 August 2003.
- G. Panopoulos & A. Stamatopoulos, M. Kavouras, “Spatiotemporal Generalization: The Cronograph Application”. Proceedings of the 21st International Cartographic Conference, Durban, South Africa, 10-16 August 2003.
- E. Stefanakis & M. Kavouras "Navigating in Space under Constraints", International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics (IJPAM), Vol. 1(1), pp. 71-93. Academic Publications. 2002.
- Μ. Kokla & M. Kavouras, "Theories of Concepts in Resolving Semantic Heterogeneities", 5th AGILE Conference on Geographic Information Science, Palma de Mallorca, Spain, 25-27 April 2002.
- M. Kavouras & M. Kokla, "Developing Multi-scale, Multi-context Databases through the Semantic Integration of Heterogeneous Datasets", The Proceedings of the 8th EC-GI&GIS Workshop, ESDI - A Work in Progress, Dublin, Ireland, 3-5 July, 2002, www.ec-gis.org/Workshops/8ec-gis.
- Μ. Kokla & M. Kavouras, "Extracting Latent Semantic Relations from Definitions to Disambiguate Geographic Ontologies", GIScience 2002, 2nd International Conference on Geographic Information Science, Boulder, Colorado, USA, 25-28 September 2002.
- E. Tomai & M. Kavouras, "Sharpening" Vagueness: Identifying, Measuring, and Portraying its Impact on Geographic Categorizations", GIScience 2002, 2nd International Conference on Geographic Information Science, Boulder, Colorado, USA, 25-28 September 2002.
- M. Kavouras & M. Kokla, "A method for the formalization and integration of geographical categorizations", International Journal of Geographical Information Science, 16(5): 439 – 453, 2002.
- M. Kavouras, "Understanding and Modelling Spatial Change", in Frank A. Raper J. and Cheylan J.P. (Eds.): Life and Motion of Socio-Economic Units, Chapter 4. London: Taylor & Francis, GISDATA Series 8, 2001.
- G. Panopoulos & M Kavouras, "The Concept of generalization in Spatio-Temporal Modelling", Proceedings of the 20th International Cartographic Conference, Beijing China, 6-10 August 2001, pp. 1965-1973.
- D. Charitos, A. Pehlivanidou-Liakata, V. Bourdakis, & M. Kavouras, "Time Based Media as a means to enhance spatial representations", in H.Penttila (ed): Architectural Information Management: eCAADe2001 Proceedings, ecCAADe, pp.233-238, ISBN 0 9523687 8 1, 2001.
- Μ. Kokla & M. Kavouras, "Fusion of top-level and geographic domain ontologies based on context formation and complementarity", International Journal of Geographical Information Science, 15(7): 679-687, 2001.
- M. Kavouras & E. Tomai, "Understanding and Reducing Ontological Vagueness in the Geographic Realm", Workshop on Spatial Vagueness, Uncertainty and Granularity, COSIT '01, Conference on Spatial Information Theory, Morro Bay, California USA September 19-23, 2001.
- D.-D. Balodimos, M. Kavouras, K. Koutsopoulos, G. Panagiotou & T. Sellis, "Redefining postgraduate geoinformation studies. Experiences from the new geoinformatics programme at NTUA - Greece", Proceedings of the International Conference on Geo-Spatial Education. Organized by the Hong Kong Polytechnic Institute, Hong Kong, 6-8 July 2000.
- Th. Hadzilakos, G. Halaris, M. Kavouras, M. Kokla, G. Panopoulos, I. Paraschakis, T. Sellis, L. Tsoulos, M. Zervakis, "Interoperability and Definition of a National Standard for Geospatial Data: The Case of the Hellenic Cadastre", International Journal of Applied Earth Observations and Geoinformation (JAG), Vol. 2, Issue 2, pp.120-128, 2000.
- Μ. Kokla & M. Kavouras, "Concept Lattices as a Formal Method for the Integration of Geographic Ontologies", First International Conference on Geographic Information Science, Savannah, Georgia, USA, October 28-31, 2000.
- G. Panopoulos & M. Kavouras, "Spatio-temporal formalization: Incorporating the concept of change in cartographic Modeling", Proceedings of the 19th International Cartographic Conference, Ottawa, Canada, 6-10 August 1999.
M. Kokla & M. Kavouras, "Spatial Concept Lattices: An Integration Method in Model Generalization", Cartographic Perspectives, 34, Fall 1999.
- N. Tryfona, M. Kavouras, Th. Hadzilacos, "A Structured Methodology for Interoperable Geographic Applications: The Case of the Hellenic Cadastre", 1st Conference of the Association of Geographic Information Laboratories in Europe, 1998.
- Halaris, G., T, Hadzilakos, M. Kavouras, G. Panopoulos, I. Paraschakis, T. Sellis, L. Tsoulos, and M. Zervakis, "Interoperability and the Definition of a National Standard. Issues of Interoperabilty, Database Integration and Definition of a National Standard for the Exchange of Digital Geographic Data". GIS PLANET 1998 Annual Conference Proceedings, Lisbon, Portugal, September 1998, CD-Rom.
- G. Panopoulos & M. Kavouras, "A Data Dictionary Supporting Multi-Scale Cartographic Production from a Single Database", Proceedings of the 18th International Cartographic Conference, Stockholm, 23-27 June 1997, pp. 1703-11.
- M. Kavouras, "Geoscience Modelling: From Continuous Fields to Entities", in Burrough P.A. and Frank A. (Eds.): Spatial Conceptual Models for Geographic Objects with Indeterminate Boundaries, London: GISDATA Series, Taylor & Francis, 313-324, 1996.
- M. Kaiserloglou & M. Kavouras, "Conceptual Database Design for Coal Deposits Exploration", International Journal of Surface Mining, Reclamation and Environment, 9:89-97, 1995.
- E. Stefanakis & M. Kavouras, "On the Determination of the Optimum Path in Space", in: A. Frank and W. Kuhn (Eds.), Spatial Information Theory, COSIT 95. Lecture Notes in Computer Science No. 988, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 241-257, 1995.
- M. Kavouras, "Human-Computer Interaction Considerations in Terrain Modeling and Visualization", in Nyerges, T. L., Mark, D. M., Laurini, R., and Egenhofer, M., (Eds): Cognitive Aspects of Human-Computer Interaction for Geographic Information Systems. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers. 1995.
- M. Kavouras, "Future of Surveying Engineering - a Perspective from Greece", Journal of Surveying Engineering, 121(3): 128-135, August 1995.
- D. Papadias & M. Kavouras "Acquiring, Representing and Processing Spatial Relations", in T. Waugh T.C. and Healey R.G (Eds.): Advances in GIS Research, Proc. of the 6th International Symposium on Spatial Data Handling (SDH 94), Edingburgh, 5-9 Sept. 1994, Vol.2, pp.631-645, by Taylor & Francis.
- M. Kavouras, "A Spatial Information System with Advanced Modeling Capabilities", in K.Turner (Ed.): 3 D Modeling with Geoscientific Information Systems, NATO ASI Series, Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1992, pp.59-67.
- Y.Q. Chen, A. Chrzanowski & M. Kavouras, "Αssessment of Observations Using Minimum Norm Quadratic Estimation (MINQUE)", The Canadian Institute of Surveying & Mapping Journal (now Geomatica), 44(1): 39-46, Spring 1990.
- J.R. Smart & M. Kavouras, "Solid Modeling in Geology and Mining", International Journal of Surface Mining, Vol.3 1989, pp.43-47.
- M. Kavouras & S.E. Masry, "An Information System for the Geosciences: Design Considerations", Proceedings of 8th International Symposium on Computer Assisted Cartography (AUTO CARTO 8), Baltimore, Maryland, Apr.1987, pp.336-345.
- C. Armenakis & M. Kavouras, "Digital Mapping: An Overview", Quaterniones Geodaesiae, 1985, 6(2): 75-101.
- Project coordinator of the Program “Study of a Spatial Data Transfer Standard for Cadastre”, for the Hellenic National Cadastre, NTUA, 1997.
- Project coordinator of the Program “NaGI2: National Geographic Information Infrastructure”, for the Hellenic Information Society, 1999.
- Project coordinator of the Program “Analysis of the Data Model for the Database of Administrative Boundaries of the European Project Esprit: ABDS for the CEEC», ABDS INCO PROJECT No 977050, for the Hellenic Mapping and Cadastral Organization, 1999.
- Project coordinator of the Program “Definition of a Land Cover - Land Use Classification Schema”, Research Program Technical Report for the Hellenic Mapping and Cadastral Organization and the National Statistical Service of Greece, NTUA, 2000.
- Project coordinator of the Program “Development of a Methodology for the Integration of Different Geographic Ontologies”, “Archimedes” Basic Research Program, Institute of Communication and Computer Systems (ICCS), NTUA, 2000.
- Coordinator of the Research Committee of the Operational Program “Information Society”, for the Measure 2.4 “Geographic Information Systems”. Member of the Committee for the Compilation of the Technical Specifications for the Horizontal Operational Program “Regional GIS”, Information Society, February 2001.
- Project coordinator of the Program “Spatio-Temporal Models Development”, THALIS Program for Basic Research, NTUA, 2002.
- Project coordinator of the Program “Characterization of Greek Municipalities into Mountainous, Semi-Mountainous and Plain Terrain for the National Statistical Service of Greece” for the Hellenic Mapping and Cadastral Organization, NTUA, 2002.
- Project coordinator of the Program “System and Data Organization for a National Spatial Data Infrastructure”, Operational Program “Information Society”, Measure 2.4.
- Active participation in the compilation and implementation of the proposal of the Operational Programme for Education and Initial Vocational Training (O.P. "Education"), of the 2nd and 3rd Community Support Framework.
- Project coordinator of the Program “A System for Decision Making for Businesses and Consumers through the Web and Open GIS Platform, Program e-Business, General Secretariat for Research and Technology, 2003.
- Project coordinator of the Program “Development of a Spatial Database for the Organization for Local Government Organizations with settlements for scale 1:50,000”, National Statistical Service of Greece, 2008.
- Project coordinator of the Program “Characterization of the Mountainousness of the Kapodestrian Municipalities and Communities and Local Regions of Greece”, National Statistical Service of Greece, 2009.
- Coordinator of the team for the development of educational material for GIS for the Technical Chamber of Greece, 2009.
- Coordinator of the team for the development of educational material “Geographic Information Systems for the Local Government Organizations (GNOSI109)” on a asynchronous eLearning platform Open eClass, for the “Information – Training – Local Development S.A. (PETA)”, 2009.
- Project coordinator of 4 development programs for the School of Rural and Surveying Engineering, NTUA, 2006-2010.
- Project coordinator of the Program “A System for the Automatic Calculation of Clean-up Fees Based on Objective Spatial Criteria”, for the Local Union of Communities and Municipalities of the Dodecanese, 2010.
- Project coordinator of the Program “An Initiative for Complementary and New Actions for Supporting the Touristic Economy for the Island of Kos” for the Dodecanese Prefecture, 2010.
- Participation in the Program Geocrowd – “Creating a Geospatial Knowledge World”, funded as an IΤΝ under FP7 - People Marie Curie Actions by the European Commission, 2010.
[ Back ]